As a consumer who is not equipped with different lab instruments, you should consider the following characteristics to buy good quality saffron:
- Saffron stigmas are all red (no other color)
- Saffron stigmas must be dry and brittle to the touch.
- Saffron aroma is strong and fresh, never musty
International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has developed scientific criteria to evaluate the quality of saffron.To be more specific, good quality saffron:
- Must have humidity less than 10 percent
- Stigmas must be flexible and resistant
- Color and taste must be notorious and coloring strength must be more than 200 in 420 units of nanometer.
Classification according to quality:
- Grade A: Short stigmas
- Grade B: Stigmas attached to part of style
- Grade C: Stigmas attached to style
- Grade D: Long stigmas atta